Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Public Forums :: Delicacy :: Thread

AT A CROSSROAD.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

Haven't been here for a long time but something Darren tweeted, 'Choose your own adventure.' gave me an urge to return as I could use some advice on how to do this. Currently I am at a crossroad with my career. Infact I would go so far as to say,' I feel burnt out.' Whilst I'm off work and really miss certain aspects of my job at the moment it is having a negative impact on my wellbeing Work colleagues have given me help and advice and so have my lovely family but I would value advice from a different perspective.
"Should I stay?" or Should I go?... If only it was as simple as that. With family and monetary commitments to consider, feeling low and to give up a career that is part of me but making me ill I really don't know HOW to choose my own adventure.
Thank you Darren for reminding me I can come here as I've said before on numerous occasions I don't do twitter or Facebook . I miss the secluded personal nature of this refuge but like home I know I can always come back here.
If any of you guys can suggest how to come to a balanced decision I would really value your help.
Sue xx

Total Posts: 25

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

Hi Sue, sorry to take a while to respond, but I hope you're doing ok!

Often I think that raising the question poses more of an answer than you realise. If your career was fulfilling, you rarely feel the need to think 'hey time to change!" right?

I understand the need to take calculated risks - as adults we are very rarely without commitments and financial responsibilities that may dampen the risks we're willing to make in the pursuit of a more fulfilling road.

I would suggest having a good meditative think on the things that are important to you. Are you motivated by money? Can you move forward with less? Does your job give you the work life balance you want? Are you drained when you leave work? When are you energised? What makes you happy? What's your 6 month plan? 12 month? Where do you want to be in 2 years?

These sorts of questions really helped me to find my path, and that's not so say that either journey will be easy, but just have the courage to make a leap either way.

Lots of hugs and let us know how you're going :D

Total Posts: 5

Joined 1969-12-31

PM

earthlydelites - 28 March 2016 12:52 AM
Hi Sue, sorry to take a while to respond, but I hope you're doing ok!

Often I think that raising the question poses more of an answer than you realise. If your career was fulfilling, you rarely feel the need to think 'hey time to change!" right?

I understand the need to take calculated risks - as adults we are very rarely without commitments and financial responsibilities that may dampen the risks we're willing to make in the pursuit of a more fulfilling road.

I would suggest having a good meditative think on the things that are important to you. Are you motivated by money? Can you move forward with less? Does your job give you the work life balance you want? Are you drained when you leave work? When are you energised? What makes you happy? What's your 6 month plan? 12 month? Where do you want to be in 2 years?

These sorts of questions really helped me to find my path, and that's not so say that either journey will be easy, but just have the courage to make a leap either way.

Lots of hugs and let us know how you're going :D

Thanks so much for your reply. I've been off sick since December now and have had a long time to reflect on the path my life is taking, as well as considering turning down a different path.
I have resisted making the return to work, although I don't deny it is difficult to shake the feelings of guilt I experience knowing colleagues will have to pick up the slack in my absence but I need to be well enough to accurately assess how influencial my work is on my negative mood.
I'm working with a Counsellor in order to do this which is an enormous help and hope to be able to make this assessment soon. I will definitely ask myself all of questions you suggested when that time comes.
Thanks again , Sue xx